Monday, February 22, 2010

Joy Ride Gone Wrong

“It wasn’t a joy ride.”
“Then what do you call driving halfway across the state, then coming back in less than an hour?”
“Paul, you don’t get it…we were out there-”
“In Turner’s Falls?”
“Yeah-we were out getting some gorgeous speakers installed. Jeff said he knew this cool mechanic who would do it for cheap. He said we wouldn’t have to pay much.”
“So why aren’t the speakers in your car?”
“Because Jeff…Jeff…the guy wanted some money none of his wanted to give him. Can I talk to mom?”
“No, she’s busy and doesn’t want to be bothered. She doesn’t even want to talk to you after what you’ve done--abandoning your little sister like that-”
“What are you talking about? She’s friggin’ fourteen! She could have taken the
bus. I told her to find another ride home.”
“She obviously didn’t think you were serious. Hey, didn’t your girlfriend go with you?”
“Um….”
“Where is she?”
“Home?”
“Did you drive her home?”
“Rachel didn’t come with us.”
“Don’t answer that.”
“But it’s Jeff. I gotta’ tell him something important. He left his…wallet in my car.
“Hey Jeff. What’s up?”
“Dude, I don’t think we should tell anybody what happened.”
“Dude, I’m not. But do you think she’ll be okay?”
“Who, Rachel?”
“Duh.”
“Tell him what you need then get off.”
“One sec, Paul.
“Yeah. I’m wor-….thinking about it a lot. Your wallet’s in my car.”
“No it’s not. It’s right here in my pock--oh shit.”
“What?”
“I think I really left it back there…”
“Oh.”
“What do you mean ‘oh’ this is a big deal brotha!”
“That’s too bad.”
“Off the phone, NOW.”
“I think I gotta’ go.”
“Paul startin’ in on you again? We’re gonna’ have to go back there tomorrow. I don’t want that creepy jerk getting hold of where I live and shit, you get me?”
“Totally, bye.”
“No internet, T.V. or video games for a month. And-no more car.”
“shit.”
“How’d you get hold of this sweet ride, bro?”
“Careful, don’t smudge the windows, Jeff. We’re going in and out, in and out, just
like the burger-place, right?”
“Sure, don’t sweat it. This dashboard is smooth. I can’t believe your step dad let
you drive his Ferrari!”
“Trust me, Paul doesn’t know anything about it. He left this morning and
shouldn’t be back ‘till tomorrow. I’m just hoping he doesn’t come home early. I will be
So screwed.”
“Got that right. He’ll sell that beauty Mustang your dad got you.”
“I’d kill him.”
“Have you seen him lately?”
“Who? My dad? Nah, it’s been awhile. Like…a year.”
“Harsh. At least he gave you the car before taking off for good.”
“Yeah, right.”

“This place still gives me the creeps.”
“We shouldn’t have come back, but I really need my wallet.”
“Did we really bring Rachel here? What were those things you made us take?”
“The pills? Some guy at school sold them to me for something he needed me to
do.”
“Do I even want to know.”
“Eh. It was just business. He just told me the pills would make us a little out of
it.”
“I don’t remember anything, really. How the hell did we drive out here on that
shit?”
“Like I’d remember anything you couldn’t? Chris, maybe your girlfriend isn’t
even out here. Maybe she’s safe at home. I mean, we couldn’t have really just…left her
here. I mean, we wouldn’t, right?”
“I don’t think so, but . . . Remember what he was going to do to us?”
“That’s why we had to get out of here.”
“But what if he did those things to her? I don’t feel so good.”
“Okay then, let’s go. I forgot about the glass room and the smell . . . Oh god, let’s
just leave!”
“But Rachel, we have to get her out of here!”

No comments: